Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Month 2, Day 7: Working through things

Weight: 20 stone 8 lbs
GTD: In-box 2, processing 77, someday/oneday 47, Done 20

Despite the fact my weight has dropped to its lowest value since the diet began, and I broke through the barrier of 10% total body weight loss and 20% of target weight loss (since my target weight is pretty much half of my starting weight, it isn't too much of a shock to see them matching up so well), today also marks the day where my week on week moving average loss dropped below 3.5 lbs. As I previously stated, that means I'm going to attempt increasing my oil dosage and seeing how that affects my appetite. I've noticed in recent days that I have more of an appetite than a few weeks ago: not that I'm feeling hungry, but that I'm eating everything I prepare, feeling full less often, and possibly feeling more inclined to snack. So maybe my set point is plateauing, or has slowed in its decline.

In Getting Things Done news, I'm managing quite well, working through items on my lists and completing them. It certainly makes me feel more productive. Below I've added few thoughts I have had about how to improve my use of the system:

Last thing in the evening at work, decide where you are going to start tomorrow on each of your current work projects. make sure each of these next actions are in your work to-do list

Whenever you leave your desk, make sure your next action on your current task in in your work to-do list

Whenever you return to your desk, look at your next actions and start carrying one out.

Whenever you are working on a project and you can think of two different things to do next, add the one you are not going to do to your work to-do list. You can work on the other task now without adding it to your list (but see above if you don't complete it)

Don't be afraid to forget to mark things on your todo list as completed. When you look over your list on returning to your desk, or when deciding what to do next, you will notice these tasks are done and remove them then. Removing them when you are in a state of flow is just an interruption.

My lists are stored in rememberthemilk.com. I'm using the due dates to remind me of what has to be finished before the project is over, but also to prioritise. I often say "due today" for things I plan on working on in the next hour or so, which puts them at the top of the list.

No comments: