Monday, January 1, 2007

Surefire New Year's Hangover Cure

The story starts last February, when I plucked up the courage to ask Herself to marry me. She said yes, and we began the process of getting all shopkeepers everywhere to double their prices when they heard us say the words "wedding"



Fast forwards until December. It was becoming painfully clear that if Herself and I remained at our current weights, our combined mass may well cause a universe collapsing singularity to form seconds after I am told I may kiss the bride. Something had to be done, if not for our happiness, in order to save the world from imminent disaster. Also, herself told me that she was going o a diet and I bloody well had to follow suit.



I am a man of the world, and by world, I mean blogosphere; and by blogosphere, I mean "lets invent a new word to describe gazillions of people typing stuff that is of interest to only about five others, then sending down a bunch of bing pipes into the special magic computer at the heart of the internets". I had read about a fantastic new diet. Fantastic is defined as "unbeliveable, unreal, fictional, sort of like dragons, care bears and Charlton actually winning a game this season". The diet in question, the shangri-la diet, had a lot of buzz earlier in 2006 when the guys who wrote Freakanomics mentioned it on their blog. Ever interested in such things, I picked up a copy of the book during a junket... err, I mean important conference trip to the states. Its a good read, and an interesting theory. I don't think for one second that it actually has any chance of working, but if Herself thinks I am dieting, then it will be doing its job.



Last night, I was at a new year's party, and the subject of resolutions came up. I explained that I was going to be testing out the shangri-la diet and people appeared interested: not only in the fact that I had become conned by a diet author who would make Gillan McKeith seem to be qualified to talk about how to lose weight, but also because they wanted to know if it really worked. And they convinced me to blog about it.



I decided that a month would be a fair time to give the diet a chance, and that if it worked, I would keep it on. I also came up with the idea of trying other self-help ideas for a month at a time.



Just Help Myself was born.



Each day I'll tell you where I am, where things are going, and if these things actually help. I may well be a better man by the end of December 2007

No comments: