Friday, January 19, 2007

How to make money (while you) fast

Cost of the Shangri-la diet book: £10 (lets not bother counting the fact I don't remember what I paid for it 7 months ago in America... ten quid is about what Amazon UK says, and $20 is about what Amazon US says which works out to the same thing)



Cost of a bottle of safflower oil (about 1 weeks supply): £1.60 (actually I think this is more than I pay, but its the first price I could find online)



Cost of 2kg of carrots (about 1 weeks supply): £1.38



Cost of a pack of Ryvita (about 1 weeks supply): 50p



Cost of 2 bags of peppers (about 1 weeks supply): £2.68



Which means a weeks lunch costs: £4.56



add on £1.60 for oil and that is £6.16



Before I started this diet I was paying about £2.60 a day for sandwiches / drink / peanuts from the local Co-op. So that cost me £13 a week.



I'm saving £6.84 a week. And that's just work day lunches. I haven't even begun to consider how much cheaper my evening meals have become (must be a lot cheaper), or how much I'm saving by eating less breakfast. Or if I'm saving anything at all at the weekend. (I'll do some comparisons on shopping budgets when the month is over and I have some more useful figures).



But lets take a saving of £1.37 a day (for working days only). So far that is a saving of £19.18, so the Shangri-la diet has almost paid for itself twice over even when buying the oil is taken into consideration, and I'm not even 20 days in yet.



Or to put it another way, I'm saving pounds faster than I'm losing them!



Over a year of 230 working days, I will see a grand saving of £315 (£305 if we subtract the book). That, on its own, will be enough not only for me to pay for Herself's family to fly here from Romania for our wedding this summer, but also to allow me send them back home once I'm fed up having them around.



It isn't just a diet, its a financial booster shot too!

No comments: