Saturday, January 20, 2007

A snapshot of the Shangri-la diet

Sometimes I wonder how effective the Shangri-la diet really is. After all, I'm eating healthy, low calorie foods: why shouldn't I be losing weight.



Today is a snapshot of how I've changed over the last twenty days:



I'm currently at work (its a Saturday, I know. Deadlines. I'm assuming the Shangri-la diet doesn't cause deadlines, although I've been in the office on Saturdays for two weeks now). Because managers like to get people do do extra work without paying them much more, my generous compensation for being in an office at the weekend is a free breakfast and lunch.



Because I was only going to show my face at 11 am, and I was up at 8am, I had my breakfast early: two-thirds of a cup of crunchy nut cornflakesa and a dash of milk. Before the diet, I would have had a bowl full of cornflakes, or a couple of thick slices of bread.



I arrived at work at 11, and breakfast (pastries and bagels) was still in the kitchen. I ignored it. I wasn't hungry and had no need for it. Now, I think ignoring the food was part of the "me being on a diet" mindset - I could easily have fitted them in, and they did hold some allure, but it certainly wouldn't have been common for me to pass them up, especially on such a small breakfast.



The free lunch was distributed at 12:30. It was a ham and cheese baguette, from a local sandwich shop. Before Christmas I was regularly eating sandwiches for lunch, and on special occasions (or when I felt like it) I would buy a baguette. I could finish one and still have room for a cake. Not today. By the end of eating it, I was stuffed. So stuffed that I still have a few mouthfuls of baguette lying it its long, brown, paper bag on the desk beside me.



I'm still full. More or less Christmas dinner full. What I want to do now is sleep. But I'm in the office. Never stopped me before...



Lets see how hungry I am, come 6pm.

No comments: