Monday, January 1, 2007

The Scales Never Lie

But they do keep secrets.



I weighed myself today. Weight is sort of an important thing to know if you are going to keep track of how well a diet is doing. And weighing myself took planning: I had to free the scales from their hiding place behind the toilet, wash them )because they had been hiding behind the toilet) and find new batteries for them.



I took a deep breath. It was always possible that I was actually 12 stone and didn't need to do the diet thing at all.



I stepped forward. The weight shown on the little cracked liquid crystal began increasing. 18 stone. 20 stone. 21 stone. 21 stone 5 pounds. 21 stone 11 pounds. My heart was sinking fast. But the scales had heart. I might have wanted the truth, but the scales knew I couldn't handle the truth. All they would say is "OL". I hope thats and abbreviation for "Over Load" and not just that it can't fit "LOL" on the screen in on go.



Today I have resorted to a backup approach to measuring the effectiveness of the diet: Measuring my waist.



Today's result: 52.25 inches.

No comments: