Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Day 2

Waist 51.875



I've noticed that my waist measurements can vary slightly (by plus or minus half an inch), so while I'll take regular measurements, they can only be considered to give a vague impression of how my weight loss is doing.



Waking up at 6 AM, I wasn't very hungry. Looks like the late night oil may have had some affect.



I started my day with a bowl of cereal at 6:40, and by preparing a packed lunch. I'll have to have oil a bit closer to food this morning as I haven't figured out a vessel to take it to work in (my best idea so far has been a miniature whisky bottle, but it occurs to me that swigging from that might look a tad unprofessional)



At 11pm I ate a cake (one of the benefits of where I work, on tuesdays at least. Not eating the cake isn't an option, it is a social as well as gastronomic benefit). I wasn't hungry beforehand, and following it, I still am not hungry. This should tide me over until my planned 1pm lunch.



12:30: 1tsp sugar in boiling water. I wasn't hungry at the point of starting this



1:15: Came over in a bit of a hot flush. Feel very energetic



1:40: Wasn't particularly hungry. Ate lunch but actually felt full and totally out of desire to eat. The feeling came on very suddenly. It didn't diminish my desire for a cup of tea.



3pm: I am feeling a bit odd. I have felt excessively hot all afternoon, and my mind is buzzing away at a rate of knots. Sometimes I'm very happy, but at others I'm down in the mouth a little. Neither emotion lasts for long, I suspect I'm the victim of reintroducing lots of caffine into my diet following the Christmas break. From now on today, I'll stick to the decaf tea. (I'll also avoid flavour from 4 - 6, so I can have a 5pm sugar water). Another weird experience is that I don't know if I'm hungry or not: I'm feeling pangs which are the signs of hunger I'm used to, but I don't feel like eating - the thought of food is uninteresting. If this is the placebo effect, then I'm wondering why I havn't been perscribed placebos by my doctor - they are some sort of wonder drug.



5pm: Decided to have another cup of hot sugar water. Feeling alert and awake. My head is now clear from the fuzziness earlier. I'm still not hungry. If nothing else, the sugar water is going to cut down my caffeine intake fro normal work days, which has to be considered a plus!



By 6:45 I was ready to eat a meal. I made one of my favourite meals, chicken in pancetta, with leeks and white wine sauce. It was as tasty as ever, and, after I finished eating and licking my lips I was still hungry. I decided to eat the remnants of my lunch. By the time I finished them, once more I was no longer enjoying eating. Not enjoying eating is new for me. Normally, even when a meal fills me so much that I think I'll physically be sick, I still enjoy the flavours of the food; When I was chewing the remaining lunchtime vegetable sticks, no enjoyment whatsoever - it was just something I was doing. Within ten to fifteen minutes after eating, I began getting feelings of my stomach being full. If this diet makes me not want to eat before I get to be full, then again, it will be a huge success.



As I was about to retire for the evening, around 10pm, I began to feel peckish. A single piece of dry Ryvita was the solution.



In summary, I'm noticing some unusual things. I'm far more awake than normal: this could be due to it being my first day back after a holiday, or an increase in caffeine consumption after a week or two of very little. But there could be a link with the diet. The hot flushes are concerning: they began after I had my first cup of sugar water. The quantity of sugar is only what most people have in a cup of tea, so I assume it isn't a terrible danger. I have had the occasional, very slight, headache. These are not a problem at the moment. But my appetite seems lower than I would expect for the quantity of food I've consumed, and I have a new experience of not enjoying eating.

No comments: