Thursday, February 15, 2007

Month2, Day 15: Too much, too soon

Weight: 20 Stone 9 lb.
GTD: In 1, Processing 84, Done 76, Someday 44

Last night I ate too much. Or that is how it felt. In fact I only ate four slices of pizza. 12 hours later, and I'm still feeling satisfied. So for all I suggest that the Shangri-la diet isn't working any more, it clearly has some effect on my appetite, I'm just eating less than I w2as, so I don't notice. For reference, in the past, I could have wolfed down a large pizza and garlic bread and still debated about desert.

I also found a problem in how I am organising Getting Things Done. At Remember The Milk, you can set due dates for tasks. I'm using these as a sort of tickler / priority system, so things I have to do soon get nearer the top of the list. RTM also has a system whereby you can tell it a task repeats every week, month or year. When you complete the task, it then places a new one, due the requisite period of time later, at the appropriate place on the list. While this increases my number of done tasks, it doesn't remove things from my task list. As I add more and more annual tasks to my system, the number of due tasks will get greater and greater... And frankly, it isn't worth me knowing about things I need to do in a years time, it's just worth knowing they are safely recorded somewhere in my system.

So today I added a new list 'tickler' to RTM. Any task that has a next action which needs to be done after a due date more than 1 week in the future will go here, and only put back into rotation during my weekly review. Unlike someday/oneday, these tasks are next actions, and have definite dates attached to them.

This should mean my task lists fall in size quite a bit. But also that they become more useful.

No comments: